Chapter 9

Let's make a hammock!

I changed the reception to my mother, and I thought of the trees planted in the courtyard.

I looked at the trees in the courtyard and thought, “I wonder if I could use these trees to make a hammock?”

The trees at the edge of the courtyard were planted at even intervals, probably to prevent people from seeing the building from the outside, when it’s dark.

They were just wide enough for a person to lie down and enjoy an elegant nap if you hung a hammock on them.

The trees looked thick and sturdy, and I wondered if I should make a hammock out of them.

I had a flash of inspiration and immediately took action.

I went back to the inn, climbed the stairs, and entered the room on the fourth floor that served as a storage room.

“... Surely, there must have been a rope around here to tie things up ... there is!”

The rope is long enough. If it were this long, you could make a hammock, just out of rope, but I don't have the knowledge or skill to do that.

I can only make a simple hammock at best.

I had a hammock in my friend's house and I made it at my own house in the past because of trend. So, I can make a simple hammock.

The part where you lie down should be an old cloth. But since I don't have such a big cloth, I'll use an old curtain.

Any large cloth will do. I'm pretty sure I washed this one last time, so no problem.

I took the rope and the old curtains and immediately went downstairs to get them.

“Tori, what are you going to do with all those old curtains and rope?”

“I'm going to make a little hammock.”

“Huh? A Hanmocku?”

I went out to the courtyard, ignoring Mom's questioning voice.

Then I tied a rope at the right length and tied it round so that the ends would not come undone.

Then wrap the rope around a tree and stretch it out, making a circle at the end.

Put the end of the old curtain through it and pull the rope to tighten it.

When you pull on the rope wrapped around the fixed curtain, it becomes rigidly fixed.

All that's left to do is to do the same thing on the other side of the tree. Adjust the height of the hammock by tweaking the knot in the rope and you're done.

A stylish hammock was created at the edge of the courtyard.

I put my feet on the hammock floating in the air and lay down.

It was a little unstable at first, but it soon became stable.

My body floats in the air, supported by the curtain and the rope. The feeling of my body being supported is very comfortable.

I looked up at the sky and saw lush green leaves and blue sky.

“Hmmm, there's nothing like laying in a hammock under the shade of a tree.”

If I was going to sleep in a company in my previous life, I should have hung a hammock instead of sleeping on a chair or the floor. I was really thinking about it.

As I was thinking about this, I heard a crunching sound of metal scraping against metal coming from the entrance.

There was no mistaking this sound. It was probably Urgas returning.

I glanced towards the entrance and saw Urgas looking at me as he was about to enter the doorway.

Urgas was staring at me. No, more precisely, the hammock underneath me.

I know he's harmless, but it's a little scary to be stared at by a full-body armored Urgas.

Urgas looked at me silently for a while, and then slowly came closer.

“What's up, Urgas?”

“............”

I ask, but Urgas doesn't respond.

As I was wondering about this, Urgas lightly pushed my body on the hammock with his hand.

As I was riding on the hammock, when pushed, it swayed from side to side.

Of course, I didn't fall off or get torn apart by the light pressure of his hand.

The ropes are surprisingly sturdy.

Urgas continued to shake me a couple of times. Then he slowly pulled his hand away and pointed at himself.

“Well, do you want to go for a ride too, Urgas?”

“............”

When I say so, Urgas shakes his helmet up and down.

He nodded more often and faster than usual.

I can't see his or her face through the helmet, but the gesture seems to indicate that he or she is excited.

If it were a woman, it would have been cute, but if it was an ugly old man, it would be complicated.

Well, let's leave it at that.

“Well, I think it's tough, wearing full-body armor. You see, that kind of armor is pretty heavy, isn't it?”

“—NS!?”

When I mentioned that it was impossible, Urgas froze as if he was shocked.

I'm surprised. Did you want to ride that much?

“Hmm, I think I'll be fine once you take off your armor…”

Urgas shakes his head from side to side and denies it, even though he glances at me.

I don't know why, but he never wants to take off his armor.

Even if I make it out of sturdy rope, the weight of full-body armor is indeed tough. Even if the rope can be used, I'm worried about the trees in the garden. It might break if I'm not careful.

“If you can take off the armor in the room, why don't I make it in Urgas' room?”

I suggested, and Urgas shook his head in delight.

No problem then. There should be a few hooks and nails in the room to hang clothes.

It's not good to use them permanently, but it's not a problem to use them for a while.

“I'm going to get the tools, so go to your room and wait for me.”

I said to Urgas as I walked through the door. Before I do that, I'll stab a nail in him.

“Urgas, don't get in the tree, it will break.”

“—NS!?”

I turned around and warned him, and saw Urgas hurrying away from the hammock.

You just tried to get in, didn't you?

When I turned my gaze, Urgas went upstairs with a squishy gait.

Apparently, he has a surprisingly mischievous side.

Surprised by this new aspect of Urgas, I headed for the storage room on the fourth floor.


“Urgas, can I come in?”

I took out the same old curtains and rope as before, and knocked on Urgas' door.

Then there was a rattling sound from inside, and the door was unlocked.

The door opens and a helmet emerges from the crack.

Oh, it's so scary when a helmet comes out of a crack in a door. If it's the middle of the night or something, I'm going to scream.

When Urgas sees me, he opens the door and urges me to come inside.

“Sorry to bother you.”

I can't help but say, even though I know that this is a room owned by my house.

I've been in here many times with other guests in the room, but this is the first time I've been in here with Urgas in the room. I've cleaned the room many times when he was not there.

The room that Urgas is staying in is a bit large for a single room. The furniture is basic: desk, chair, chest of drawers, closet, washbasin, fireplace, and the usual stuff.

Long term guests would put their personal belongings in the room, but Urgas rarely does that.

Instead, the room is filled with armor care tools, spare helmets, knives and swords, so it feels like a living.

It's cute that small items and flowers are placed on the chest of drawers and closet.

Now, as for the hammock, where should I hang it? There are only hooks on the right side and above the window, so I'll have to hang it there.

“I think I'll use the hook on the window and the hook on the right wall to hang it diagonally, but is that okay? I'll have to move the chest of drawers a bit, though.”

When I said that, Urgas immediately moved and lifted up the chest of drawers and looked at me.

How far should this be shifted? I mean, the chest of drawers containing things should be quite heavy, but ... well, I don't care about that now.

“Is it okay if I shift it to this area?”

When I pointed, Urgas nodded and put down the chest of drawers.

When it was done, I immediately started to work on the hammock.

It didn't take much time, but Urgas looked very interested in the way I was making it.

I thought to myself, “If he can remember how to make this, he might be able to make it when he finds a strong tree outdoors”. With that in mind, I explained how to make the hammock and with Urgas' help, I made it.

It took a little longer than expected, but the indoor hammock was complete.

While Urgas was excited, I tried to lie down on it once to check its strength.

Yes, I can lie down without any problem. Even though Urgas is bigger than me, I'm sure the hooks won't come loose or the walls won't come off.

“Yeah, you'll be fine with this. It's just a simple one, so don't jump on it or put anything heavy on it or use it recklessly.”

I jumped down and reminded him, and he nodded.

The appearance was cute like a child who was given a toy.

Then he looked at the hammock and me with a somewhat nervous look.

I'm not the one who doesn't understand the meaning.

“Oh, you can't take off your armor when I'm around, can you? I'll leave the room then.”

As I turned my back to him, Urgas tapped me on the shoulder.

When I turned around, I saw Urgas' big hand with a small leather bag on it.

I took it in my hand and looked inside, wondering how many gold and silver coins were in it.

“Can I take all of this?”

I asked, and Urgas nodded yes.

It's nice to get paid for your work, but this is a lot of money for a simple hammock made of rope and old curtains.

“That's a lot of money, indeed.”

“............”

When I pointed out that it was a lot of money, Urgas gave me an annoyed look.

Then he picked up a piece of paper and a pen from his room and scribbled vigorously.

Then he showed me the paper so that I could see it.

Knowledge is wealth. What Tori has taught me is very useful. It's great to be able to make a simple sleeping place outside.

Does this mean that my hammock is such great knowledge for people who live outside? However, I'm not the kind of person that Urgas would admire, since I've just recreated something from a previous life.

“The cost of materials and labor was three silver coins. Well, that's still too much.”

I laughed as I took the three silver coins, and Urgas looked clearly confused.

He then took several gold coins and gestured for more.

“That's enough. In return, Urgas can show everyone the benefits of the hammock.”

When I still refrained from doing so, Urgas nodded slowly, as if he was satisfied.

“If you need anything else, just let me know.”

So I left the room this time.

Then I heard the sound of armor being removed from inside the room. I was tempted to take a peek out of curiosity, but decided not to.

It's important to protect the privacy of our guests, and I'd rather have Urgas show me what he wants anyway.

Now, I'm going to take an elegant nap in the hammock I've set up in the courtyard.

“............”

After that, when I returned to the courtyard, I found a female guest named Remilia asleep on the hammock I had made.

Previous Chapter | ToC | Next Chapter

Comments